National School of Drama
(TIE Wing) Tripura
(In collaboration with Department of Information &
Cultural Affairs and Higher Education, Govt. of Tripura)
The National School is a premier theatre institution imparting training in dramatic arts. It is an autonomous organization fully financed by the Govt. of India. Under its outreach programme, the National School of Drama, New Delhi opened its camp office, National School of Drama (Theatre-In-Education Wing) Tripura, at Sachin Debbarman Memorial Govt. Music College, Lechu Bagan, Agartala, Tripura, w.e.f 17-11-2011.
The Camp office, National School of Drama (T.I.E Wing), Tripura started one year certificate course in Theatre-In-Education on 9th August, 2012 is unique as it is the first attempt to make Theatre-In-Education an independent discipline that encompasses several other disciplines that relates to a Child’s education and creative expression it is hope that the curse will be of immense utility to the theatre artists and teachers of Tripura in furthering their career prospects.
One Year Certificate Course in Theatre-In-Education
The Aim of the course is to prepare theatre teachers for school and artists for other TIE activities.
Structural Frame Work
- The course is proposed as a one year certificate course in Theatre-In-Education.
- Basic qualification required for admission to the course is graduation in any discipline with experience of Theatre or education or both.
- 20 students are admitted for the course from Northeast states.
- The medium of instruction is Hindi and English but the language of performance could be the same and local languages.
- Those selected for the course are given a monthly scholarship of Rs. 4500/- per month for the period of one year.
- Hostel facility is provided.
- The faculty for the course is provided by NSD.
- A course that balances an understanding of education, Child development and theatre and attempts their interface.
- Training is divided in two terms.
- Training includes reading, watching theatre, films, video programme and analysis of these on a regular basis.
- It includes regular visits to schools and observation of and interaction with children and teachers.
- Students present some work in progress like storytelling, puppetry, grips theatre performance, participative play and performance based on a curricular subject to schools on a regular basis.
- They also have to plan and conduct summer theatre workshops with children under the guidance of mentors.
- These workshops include devising a play with children that are performed.
- The assessment is basis of written exam, projects, demonstrations, viva, and assessment of practice oriented work by subject experts.
Record from 2012 to 2016
Summer Theatre Workshop with Children
- (2012-13) : 225 children (Agartala)
(Chand Tare Ghar Pe Aaye, Ek Anokha Jangle, Ek Nayee Shuruat, Idgaah, Laut Chal, Natkhat Chuha, Samajhadar, Shiyal Tomar Jonnyoa, Swasthi Rakshash)
- (2013-14) : 200 children (Agartala & Khumulwng)
(Naadan pet, Pinti Ka Saboon, Prakarti ka Ashirbad, Pen Mil Gaya, Azab Gaon Ki Gazab Khahani, Sapno Ke Parinde)
- (2014-15) : 200 children (Agartala & Khumulwng)
(Faison ka Fanda Nanga Hua Banda, Kawa ni Koktun, Nini Boyar, Mithua, Boro chaya Wngkha, Sapna hai par apna hai )
- (2015-16) : 300 children (Agartala, Khumulwng, Moun VC)
(Our Hobby, Shararati Maan, Gyan Punji, Ashique, Dildaar Bachche, Mohan Laler Chhelera, Little Jhingu, Kubui Hamjakma Paiphlaiya, Maha Jogger Samidh, Hayuing Ni Raja)
Theatre for Children
Total No. of Shows in school & auditorium : 100 shows
- Grips Play : (Par Hume Khelna Hai directed by Ms. Jyoti Bose ,
Baja Dee Band by Mr. Shriranga Godbole & Ms. Vibhawari Despande,
Mithi Ka Sapna directed by Mr. Parmod Kale)
- Children Theatre : (Dragon Tail Toofan Mail directed by Mr. Rajneesh Bisht,
Lakshman ka Saktishel directed by Mr. Raja Bhattacharya)
- Participatory Prog. : (Pathorer Poth directed by Mr. Suwarn Rawat, In the name of Unborn
Baby directed by Mr. Vijai Kumar Singh)
- Story Theatre : (Quise Tede Mede urf Khatta Mitha directed by Mr. D.R.Ankur)
Eminent Personality & Guest Faculty
(Mr. Devendra Raj Ankur, Late Sudhir B. Kulkarni, Ms. Moloyashree Hasmi, Mr. Shrirang Godbole, Ms. Maya Krishna Rao, Mr. Dadipudumji, Mr. Mohan Maharishi, Mr. Ratan Thiyam, Prof. Waman Kendre, Ms. Kirti Jain etc.)
Local Guest Faculty
(Prof. Santanu Bhattacharjee, Mr. Swapan Nandi, Mr. Bijoy Acharjee, Mr. Saroj Choudhury, Ms. Nandita Banik, Ms. Bijita Reang, Mr. Kripashindu Jamatia & Mr. Madhusudhan Debbarma, Mr. Uttam Chakraborty, Mr. Pradeep Das, Mr. Soumendra Nandi, Mr. Prabhitangshu Das, Dr. Mirnal Chakraborty & faculty from Tripura University & IASE etc.)
International Guest Faculty
(Hailey Jones, Carol Sterling from USA, Lewis Frost, Geoff Readman & Anna Readman from UK)
- Oppressed theatre : Sanjay Ganguly, Ms. Radha & Ms. Seema Ganguly
- Story telling : Geeta Ramanujam
- Re-Thinking development Education : Manish Jain & Ms. Vidhi Jain
- Object theatre : Choiti Ghosh
- Scenography : Dipan Shivraman
- Clowning : Ashwath Bhatt
(Light, Costume, Mime, Magic, Acting, Scenic Design, Make-Up, Property/Mask Making, Story Telling, Oppressed Theatre, Dance Drama, Physical Acting & Object Theatre etc.)
- Contemporary India 1-8
- Child Development
(Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose School, Umakanta School, KV Salabagan, Army School, KV ONGC, Hindi School, Kamani Kumar etc.)
Extension programme of NSD, TIE Wing Tripura
Teacher’s Training Workshop
- Total No. of Teacher’s Training Workshop at Tripura : 25 No.
- Total No. of Participants : 500 Participants
(Udaipur, Amarpur, Belonia, Bishalgarh, Kanchanpur, Teliamura, Jirania, Longtarai Valley (Manu), Kumarghat, Jampuijala, Santirbazar, Sabroom, Sonamura, Panisagar, Pecharthal, Gandachara, Kamalpur, Tulashikhar, Kalyanpur, Jolaibari, Karbook, Kila, Jirania, Agartala, Dibrughar)
30 days Production Oriented Theatre Workshop with Tribal
- of Workshop : 4 Nos.
- of Participants : 100 Participants
- Area : (Khumulwng, Teliamura, Gandachara & Agartala)
(Tok-Kay directed by Mr. Pabitra Rabha, Chini Nukhung directed by Mr. Loitongbam Pari Nganba, FIR Inam 10,000 directed by Mr. Shiv Prasad Gond & Tei Thokai Saya directed by Mr. Jadumani Singh)
5th batch of academic year 2016-17
- (16 students has been join this course 7 from Assam & 9 from Tripura)